The North America motor home market is expected to register a CAGR of over 7%, during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- Electrification has paved its way in the motor home, due to advancements in the battery and electric drive technologies now many conventional motor home manufacturers are developing electric motor homes and launching new electric models of motor homes
- North America is witnessing increasing demand for adventure camping as the number of camping grounds is increasing and along with that initiative from governments and is expected to support the growth of the motorhome market during the forecast period.
- Motorhomes are widely adopted for various activities apart from their conventional purposes such as festivals, concerts, and multi-day events. Motor homes have an added advantage of reducing vacation costs by an average of 55% over other conventional vacation activities.
Key Market Trends
Motorhome Rental will Hinder the Market Growth
The motor home is a luxury amenity and it is not accessible for every person. According to the RV Industry Association's March 2020 survey, the total wholesale RV Shipments registered in March 2019 about 38,015 units, out of which only 4261 shipments were of motorhomes, contributing only 11% of the total RV shipments, owing to its expensive price. A typical class A motorhome’s cost ranges between USD 60,000 to USD 500,000, while that of class B and class C ranges from USD 40,000 to USD 150,000.
But the new-age startups have solved the high price issue associated with enjoying the motorhome experience without owning it, in the form of a motorhome rental. Which in turn is affecting the sales of the new motorhome in the region. As, these rental firms provide the facility of comparing various motorhomes, according to time, place, duration. Through this platform, the motorhome owners can provide their unused motorhomes for renting which creates a new revenue source for them. Platforms such as RV Rental USA, Cruise America provide a one-stop solution for occasional motorhome users.
Type C Motorhome is anticipated to hold major share in the Market
Class C motorhomes are mid-sized RVs that are not built upon existing truck bodies and van chassis. These RVs provide better fuel efficiency than the type A or B motorhomes. Their size varies from 20 ft to 33 ft.
The type C motorhome is manufactured on a more powerful chassis than a type B motorhome, and also provide more amenities. The shape of Type C is akin to a van cab with an attached camper, unlike that of the class A's ‘bus-like’ shape.
Major motorhome manufacturers are adopting various advancements in their class C versions. One of the other trends witnessed in class C models is that the manufacturers are preferring large Ford, Chevy, and other heavy-duty vehicle chassis for making their motorhome bulky by shifting out from the van chassis. Most of these larger versions are also diesel-powered, making them apt to pull a heavier load while being more fuel-efficient, compared to gasoline engines.
For instance, in 2019, Vanliferpreferred Tesla Semi for its electric motorhome concept. It has a six-berth full kitchen, living space, toilet along with all the other amenities of luxury motorhomes.
The North America motor home market is fragmented due to the presence of many local and global players such as Thor Industries Inc., Forest River Inc., and Winnebago Industries, Inc. Many major players are acquiring other companies to increase their market presence and diversifying their product portfolio. Also, companies are incorporating the latest technologies in their latest RV models to provide the best experience to the occupants. For instance,
- In 2019, Winnebago Industries, Inc. agreed to acquire Newmar Corporation. Newmar is one of the leading manufactures of premium Class A luxury and Super C motorhomes.
- In 2019, Hymerlaunched its VisionVenture Concept, for this concept Hymeractually partnered with BASF for providing more than 20 innovative materials used in this camper van.
- In 2019, Thor Industries, Inc.announced that it has done the acquisition of Erwin Hymer Group (EHG). Through this acquisition, Thor will enter the European market. The combined entity will be the world's largest RV manufacturer.
- In 2019, Winnebago Industries, Inc. along with GMAG Holdings Corp.have made a USD 60 million investment in Motiv Power Systems, who have manufactured Winnebago’s Class A vehicle electric powertrain.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support