The North America Commercial Aircraft Cabin Interior Market is expected to register a CAGR of more than 4% during the forecast period.
- North America has some of the largest airlines in the world. Air passenger traffic in North America is also among the highest in the world, due to which airlines are investing large amounts into several systems that make up the cabin interiors, for enhancing the onboard passenger experience and attracting more passengers.
- Players in the market are coming up with new and advanced cabin interior systems, like mood lighting, in-flight live streaming, and new fiber seats, that are embedded with smart sensors to manually control seat pressure, tension, temperature, and movement by the use of a smartphone app, among others. The development of such sophisticated systems is expected to propel the market growth in the years to come.
- The advent of the Covid-19 pandemic has impacted the aviation supply chains, aircraft orders and deliveries, and the revenues generated by airlines also, which is expected to postpone their cabin modernization and retrofit plans. This is expected to restrain the market during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Cabin Retrofit Activities in North America
North America is the home to some of the largest airlines in the world, which are focused on maintaining a consistent brand image and capturing a higher share in the commercial aviation industry. To attract passengers, these airlines are incorporating new features, like more ergonomic seats, personalized entertainment systems, reliable cabin connectivity, in-seat power supply, etc., to enhance the passenger experience onboard their aircraft, by retrofitting their cabins with these newer, attractive amenities. For instance, Air Canada is currently investing in improving its long-haul business and economy class cabins, including retrofitting several older jets with its flagship Signature Class cabins. The airline is working with the company ST Engineering to refurbish its A330 aircraft fleet and in June 2020, Air Canada’s first refurbished A330 took its maiden flight after it was refurbished. The refurbished economy cabin comes in a 2-4-2 configuration, while the premium economy cabin features a 2-3-2 configuration with Signature Class in a 1-2-1 layout, with the herringbone lie-flat seat design. The retrofitted seats are equipped with new seatback entertainment, a power outlet, and a USB charging port. Such cabin retrofit activities are increasing in North America, thereby driving the market growth.
United States Held the Largest Market Share in 2019
In segmentation by country, the United States held the largest market share in 2019. The country is also expected to dominate the market during the forecast period. The passenger traffic to and from the United States has been increasing steadily. According to the Bureau of Transportation Statistics, in 2019, the US airlines and foreign airlines carried a total of 1,052.8 million scheduled service passengers, an increase of 3.9% from 2018. The Y-o-Y growth of passengers forced the airlines to increase their aircraft fleet, as well as to replace their current aging fleet of older aircraft with new ones, to cater to the passengers’ traffic. For instance, till Q1 2020, United Airlines, one of the major airlines in the country, placed orders for 50 Airbus A321XLR aircraft and 45 Airbus A350-900 aircraft, whose deliveries are expected to start during the forecast period. Such orders will generate demand for cabin interiors during the forecast period. Also, with several aircraft grounded due to the Covid-19 pandemic, airlines in the US are utilizing the time to retrofit their cabins. For instance, American is making use of the time it's Boeing 737 and Airbus A321 aircraft are on the ground by continuing retrofits of the aircraft. The airline has budgeted for these retrofits and views this as a long-term cost-cutting measure. The aircraft is not only increasing the seating density inside the cabins by adding more seats but also upgrading the seats with in-seat power outlets and more room in overhead bins. Such developments are expected to bolster the market prospects during the forecast period.
Safran, Collins Aerospace (Raytheon Technologies Corporation), Astronics Corporation, Honeywell International Inc., Panasonic Corporation are some of the prominent players in the market. Partnerships between the market players can help them develop and offer highly sophisticated products and attract new customers, thereby maintaining a strong foothold in the market. Innovations by the players in the industry are expected to help them gain several new contracts and the focus on newer technologies is expected to help their growth during the forecast period.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support