The Netherlands floriculture market is projected to register a CAGR of 6.3% during the forecast period (2020-2025).
- Among the cut flowers, Rose accounted for the major share of 31.3%, followed by Chrysanthemum with 11.5%, in 2019.
- Between 2006 and 2016, approximately 320 bulb plant and flower growing companies were shut down in Netherlands, which affected the development of healthy competition in the market.
- Additionally, the rise of developing nations as major flower growers become a major challenge for the Netherlands flower growers, in both domestic and international flower market.
Key Market Trends
Cut Flowers, Flower Bulbs and Plants is the Fastest Growing Segment
The increasing number of flower cultivators in developing countries and the shift of wholesalers to these countries act as challenges for the floriculture market in the Netherlands. However, developments in e-commerce are likely to have a positive impact on the floriculture market in the Netherlands, with the opportunity to complete direct sales with the consumers, instead of using an intermediary. The logistical position of the country within Europe and the established international trade links within the flower industry make Europe the core of the flower market in the Netherlands. Countries, like Ecuador, Colombia, Kenya, and Ethiopia, are the leading suppliers of live trees, plants, and flowers to the Netherlands. Kenya is the second-largest importer of flowers in the Netherlands.
Growing Export Potential for Cut Flowers
The Netherlands is the largest exporter of cut flowers around the world. The flower market in the Netherlands is a dynamic, fast-growing global industry, defined by three major components, growers, wholesalers, and retailers. The Netherlands is the largest producer for cut flowers, as well as a key importer from developing countries. Apart from being one of the market leaders for cut flowers, the Netherlands is also the main trade hub, especially in the area of Aalsmeer. The major importers of cut flowers from the Netherlands are Germany, the United Kingdom, France, and the Russian Federation.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support