The gum rosin market is projected to grow moderately with a CAGR of more than 2% during the forecast period. Growing demand for bio-based adhesives and sealants and the burgeoning paper packaging industry are driving the market growth. On the flip side, the shift of interest toward tall oil rosin-based phenolic resins and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the market growth.
- Growth in demand for anti-slip agents for floors in stadiums and emerging applications in the pharmaceutical industry are expected to offer various opportunities for the growth of the market over the forecast period.
- The adhesives and sealants segment is expected to dominate the gum rosin market over the forecast period.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to account for the largest share of the market over the forecast period, owing to the huge consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
The Adhesives and Sealants Segment is Expected to Dominate the Market
- For decades, gum rosin has become one of the vital components of the adhesives and sealants industry value chain, as it serves as an excellent tackifier for adhesives.
- Gum rosin is widely used as an ingredient for heat melt adhesives, pressure-sensitive adhesives, and rubber adhesives. This rosin mainly is used to enhance the strength, plasticity, and viscosity of adhesives.
- The gum rosin industry seeks to identify collaboration opportunities and build partnerships with the adhesives and sealants industry, as food and packaging safety is of concern to adhesives and sealants manufacturers worldwide.
- With increasing concerns related to environmental pollution and the ability to tailor gum rosin resin according to the desired properties of adhesives, the applications of bio-based adhesives and sealants are likely to increase the market demand for gum rosin in the coming years.
- According to Mordor Intelligence, the bio-based adhesives and sealants are expected to witness a CAGR of more than 4.2% over the forecast period.
The Asia-Pacific Region to Witness a Downtrend
- As of now, Asia-Pacific dominates the global gum rosin market. However, the gum rosin industry has been witnessing a downtrend from the past few years and is expected to continue the same over the forecast period, owing to the headwinds in the major demand pullers, like China and India.
- Although the production output has decreased hugely, China remained the largest gum rosin production country, with approximately 52% share in 2019. Moreover, China is also the largest consumer of gum rosin globally, currently, with nearly 50% of the global share in 2019.
- Coating and adhesive resins disproportionated rosin and ink resins as the major product segments of the gum rosin market in the country, which alone contributed nearly 70% of the market demand in 2019.
- The Chinese gum rosin industry has taken a downtrend since 2008 after reached the top in 2006 and 2007. Till 2018, gum rosin production output decreased by 50% compared to 2008.
- It is speculated that almost half of the existing gum rosin plants could be shut down over the forecast period as more crude gum rosin is being imported into China. This scenario may result in an integration through mergers and recombination, which may lead to the more centralized gum rosin industry.
The global gum rosin market is highly fragmented in nature with a few major players contributing only a minor chunk of the market. Some of the major companies are Guangxi Dinghong Resin Co. Ltd, Finjetchemical Co. Ltd, Foreverest Resources Ltd, Arakawa Chemical Industries Ltd, and DRT (Dérivés Résiniques et Terpéniques).
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support