The French bariatric surgery market is expected to register a CAGR of 13.2% during the forecast period. The key factors propelling the growth of the market are the increase in obese patients and the prevalence rate of Type-2 diabetes and heart diseases.
- Obesity is considered as a metabolic dysfunction and is often associated with a wide range of chronic illnesses that cause significant increases in mortality. Obesity is found to be associated with substantial increases in premature mortality, impaired quality of life, and a substantial amount of healthcare costs. The major diseases caused by obesity include hypertension, Type-2 diabetes dyslipidemia, myocardial infarction, stroke, sleep apnea, and osteoarthritis. Therefore, obesity is undoubtedly one of the most common causes of diabetes and, so far, bariatric surgery has been one of the most efficient methods to control both.
- According to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) 2019 report, about 1 in 10 people is obese in France, and almost 40% of the population was overweight (including obese). Moreover, it indicates that overweight rates will increase by a further 10% in the coming ten years.
- In addition, there is also the emergence of new technologies in bariatric surgery and growing demand for minimally invasive surgical procedures that are expected to act as the key drivers for the market growth during the forecast period. Thus, bariatric procedures are expected to increase in France, which in turn, may double the growth in the European market.
Key Market Trends
The Stapling Devices Segment is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share
The stapling devices segment is expected to show a comparatively higher growth rate over the forecast period, as compared to other devices used in bariatric surgeries. It is the most commonly used device, as it tends to result in greater and more consistent weight loss among patients, along with a greater reduction in obesity-related health problems. According to the Direction de la Recherche, des Études, de l'Évaluation et des Statistiques (DREES) and Agence technique de l'information sur l'hospitalisation (ATIH) 2016 report, in 2016, approximately 60,000 bariatric surgeries were performed in France. Thus, most of the bariatric procedures are currently being performed with mechanical stapling devices, thereby contributing to the overall growth.
The French bariatric surgery market is consolidated and competitive. The manufacturers are innovating new technologies, which are non-invasive, for reducing patients’ time in the hospitals, decreasing the chances of infection, and saving the cost. Additionally, smaller players are implementing strategies, such as acquisitions, to expand their product portfolios and gain roots in the industry.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support