The European dairy ingredients market is projected to witness a CAGR of 4.42% during the forecast period, 2020-2025.
· The rising health and wellness concerns among consumers, facilitated by the rising participation in sports, led to the enhanced usage of dairy ingredients in the supplements industry. Moreover, the key players are focusing on introducing new products in the market, for meeting the consumers’ requirements. For instance, in 2018, Arla Food Ingredients launched a whey protein ingredient solution, Nutrilac CH-769, to alter the manufacturing process of cream cheese.
· By type, whey ingredients accounted for the largest share and are considered as highly versatile products. They are used in varied products, including cheese and sushi. Globally, companies are focusing on strengthening their production resources for whey protein, by investing in cheese production. For instance, in December 2017, Arla Foods (“Arla”) and a German dairy company, DMK Group (“DMK”), signed a third-party manufacturing contract to produce mozzarella.
· However, the presence of alternatives, such as plant proteins, as well as the increasing instances of lactose intolerance and milk allergies are expected to restrain the market’s growth.
Key Market Trends
Increased Production of Dairy Products Filling the Consumption Gap in Major Countries
The European Union is one of the largest dairy markets, in terms of volume of consumption. The region is the number one producer of cheese, and thus, the largest producer of whey, according to the European Whey Processor Association. With more than 12,000 milk processing and production sites across Europe, the dairy sector largely contributes to the food and beverage sector. Germany and Poland are the largest consumers of whey protein in the European Union, and an increasing number of consumers are focusing on including high-protein powders, amino acid products, high-protein ready-to-drink beverages, and high-protein bars in their meals. This is expected to drive market's revenue. Furthermore, this region is one of the prominent exporters of numerous dairy products, globally. For instance, in 2018, the European Union exported about 600,000 metric ton of whey to many countries across the world.
Germany to Drive the Regional Market
In Germany, the demand for protein as an ingredient shifted from appealing to a mainstream health and wellness ingredient in various food products. This is a major factor driving the market for protein ingredients, with application in different end-user industries, especially sports and clinical nutrition, bakery and confectionery, and dairy. The younger generations in Germany displayed a greater interest in high-quality whey protein ingredients. This eventually led to the growth in the sales of whey protein isolates and hydrolysates, with extensive application in different functional food and beverage products across the country. Cheese is one of the most fragmented categories within packaged food, with various regional and international cheese varieties, along with small, large, and private label lines competing across the country. The major end-user industries that are driving the market in Germany for dairy ingredients include infant nutrition.
The European dairy market is fragmented, owing to the presence of numerous regional and domestic players in different countries. Companies are focusing on mergers, expansions, acquisitions, and partnerships, along with new product development, primarily as strategic approaches to boost brand presence. Key players dominating the European market include Arla Foods Ingredients Group P/S, Eurosérum, FrieslandCampina Ingredients, Kanegrade Ltd, and Lactalis Ingredients, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support