The global dielectric etchers market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 5.4% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). The increasing demand for miniaturizing the ICs to be used in compact & mobile devices is expected to drive the market. The current electronic devices use semiconductors of circuit line width which ranges from 5 - 20 nm; however, with the emergence of atomic-level etching process & demand for miniaturized IC which consume less power will push the circuit line width range to 0 - 10 nm.
- Increase in demand of neuromorphic chips will drive the market for etchers. The rising demand for artificial intelligence, data processing & analytics is major factors influencing the innovation & adoption of neuromorphic chips across the globe.
- The latest trend in global dielectric etchers market is the emergence of 3D ICs. With the increasing demand for faster computing devices which consume less amount of energy will significantly drive the demand for 3D chip stacking.
- The growing need for miniaturizing electronic devices in fields such as Aerospace, Automotive & Medical sectors will drive the demand for dielectric etchers which are capable of altering structures to a precision of 0 - 10 nm & even at an atomic level.
Scope of the Report
For dielectric etching, where etch rate is not a significant driver, traditional diode-type chambers are used, else the high-density-plasma systems are used. In some cases, manufacturers have added magnetic enhancement to these basic systems, to reduce sidewall loses and confine the plasma. With an increasing demand for high-performance chipsets in mobile devices and faster semiconductor manufacturing techniques, dielectric etching is increasingly becoming popular with foundries. With the emergence of Atomic-Level Etching, founderies are better equipped with meeting the demands of the customers even to miniaturize the circuit width lining.
Key Market Trends
Demand for Neuromorphic Chip to Boost Dielectric Etchers Market
- Neuromorphic chip is a data processor inspired by biological brain processing ability to achieve high-speed & low power learning and constructed with capabilities of millions of neurons. The size of these chips is small enough to go mobile and applications are broad.
- Besides, AI-based startups are increasing day-by-day. The technologies enabled by AI require neuromorphic chips for processing. Therefore, rising demand for artificial intelligence, data processing & analytics is major factors influencing the innovation & adoption of neuromorphic chips across the globe, which in turn is expected to drive the market for dielectric etchers.
- Moreover, the automotive industry is one of the major market drivers for neuromorphic chips as the demand for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) peaks. According to the Center for Automotive Research, the global ADAS unit shipments are anticipated to increase from 16.2 million in 2012 to 91.5 million by 2020.was at USD 4.83 Billion in 2017 and are further expected to grow exponentially as the introduction of neuromorphic chips into ADAS are being tested.
Asia-Pacific Region to Hold a Significant Share
- Integrated Device Manufacturers (IDM) such as Qualcomm, Broadcom Ltd., Nvidia, MediaTek, Apple, AMD, etc. across the globe are adopting fabless business model, where the organization will design the chipset layout and outsource the manufacturing to chipset manufacturers such as TSMC, UMC & SMIC. The fabless business model helps organizations to concentrate their efforts on investing profits in research and development of new technologies while maintaining the high production volumes needed to maintain sales.
- Organizations such as TSMC, UMC, DB Hitek, SMIC, etc. utilize their foundries to produce the chipset according to the specifications and volumes requirement of the customers. A major share of these foundries operates from China, Taiwan & South Korea.
- TSMC has been Apple's exclusive manufacturer of Apple's A-series chips. This chipset will be fabricated using a 7-nanometer chipset called A13. Besides, with automotive electronics industry flourishing exceedingly in the region, Asia-Pacific is providing a plethora of opportunities for market growth.
The competitive rivalry among the dielectric etchers market is high owing to the presence of few key players like Applied Materials, Hitachi High-Technologies, Lam Research, Tokyo Electron, Mattson Technologies & AMEC, and many more. With these players prominently taking over the market, the market is concentrated. Their ability to continually innovate their etching technologies by significant investments in research and development activities has helped them to achieve competitive advantage over other players. Various R&D investments & strategic M&As have enabled these companies to gain a strong foothold in the market.
- July 2019 - Applied Materials, Inc. announced the acquisition of Kokusai Electric Corporation (“Kokusai Electric”) for USD 2.2 billion. Kokusai Electric is a leading company in providing high-productivity batch processing systems and services for memory, foundry and logic customers.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support