The major factors driving the growth of the cell harvesting market include the increasing investment in regenerative medicine and cell-based research, growth of the biotechnology and biopharmaceutical industries, and increasing incidence of chronic and infectious diseases.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), chronic diseases are expected to increase by 57%, by 2020. Increased demand for healthcare systems due to chronic diseases has become a major concern.
The Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), stated that in 2017, chronic diseases were the leading cause of death and disability in the United States, and 133 million Americans, i.e., 45% of the population, had at least one chronic disease. Also, the rise of age and lifestyle-related chronic diseases is increasing the demand for and expenditure on healthcare.
In developing markets, cancer and heart disease are becoming the main causes of death, as a result of urbanization, sedentary lifestyles, changing diets, rising obesity levels, and widespread availability of tobacco products. The potential use of stem cells in treating various chronic diseases is the major factor for the growth of the market. Thus, the increasing prevalence of chronic and infectious diseases is expected to spur market growth.
Key Market Trends
Stem Cell Research is Expected to be Fastest Growing Segment
- Human stem cell research has enormous potential for contributing to the understanding of fundamental human biology. Studying stem cells is helping scientists understand more about how the human body works and how diseases develop and affect the body.
- The research is helping researchers better understand different diseases and conditions and in finding new treatments. Human stem cell research should be integrated with mainstream biomedical research, including disease modeling, the study of cellular degenerative processes, development of pharmaceutical and toxicological screening platforms, and regenerative therapy.
- As per the data published (2016) by the National Institute of Health, currently, around 60,000 patients are treated with bone marrow transplantation (BMT) each year, globally. Bone marrow-derived stem cells can advance the study of stem cell biology, stem cell-based therapies, and regenerative medicine.
- Thus, due to the above-mentioned factors, the market is expected to witness high growth over the forecast period.
North America is Expected to Dominate the Cell Harvesting Market
- North America holds a major share of the cell harvesting market, and it is expected to witness a similar trend over the forecast period, without significant fluctuations.
- The US market is dominating the cell harvesting market because of the increasing research expenditure and government initiatives.
- Currently, the only stem cell-based products that are approved by the FDA, for use in the United States, consist of blood-forming stem cells, derived from cord blood. These, as well as stem cells, which come from bone marrow, are commonly used in transplant procedures to treat patients with cancer and disorders of the blood and immune system. Moreover, there is a rise in healthcare expenditure in the United States.
- These above-mentioned factors are the key elements augmenting the growth of the US market and making it stable.
The market studied is a moderately consolidated market owing to the presence of the small and large market players. Some of the market players are Arthrex Inc., AVITA Medical, GE Healthcare, Pall Corporation, Perkin Elmer Inc., Sartorius AG, Terumo Corporation, and Tomtec
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support