The Asia-Pacific recreational vehicle market is expected to register a CAGR of over 12%, during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- The significant increase in the middle-class population and increasing emphasis on the development of tourism are boosting the demand for leisure-related goods and activities, like camp grounding and RV camping, in China, Australia, and Japan, which has led to an increase in demand for RVs in Asia-Pacific.
- According to the Chinese government’s five-year plan around 4,000 campsites are to be developed by 2020, At the end of 2018 there were around 1300 campsites are there in China. Also, the Chinese car drivers are permitted to enjoy their caravans or motorhomes with a maximum permitted weight of up to 4.5 tonnes.
- Although the RV culture is in its nascent stage in most of the Asian region as compared to Europe and North America. But these region has tremendous potential for growth in the future.
Key Market Trends
RV Rental will hinder the growth of the Market
RV rental services are the platform through which anyone can enjoy RV experience occasionally. Platforms such as JapanCampers, Fuji Cars Japan are growing in the regional market, connecting various RV rental customers to private owners. These platforms provide RV booking either through online or face-to-face meetings. The growing RV rental information platforms provide ease of booking an RV, which is affecting the new RV sales in the region.
Similarly Shanghai Auto, one of the largest motorhome manufacturers in China is trying to construct a motorhome ecosystem in China. Its plan includes taking over the operation of campgrounds and providing rental business incorporation with tourist agencies for designing motorhome camping trips throughout China. RV2GO an RV rental app that also provides campground booking is popular with local consumers with a total of 1.1 million downloads. This app provides details on the types of activities available through motorhome, along with that it also provides useful tips on operating and maintaining an RV and shows campground information and the reservation process.
Additionally, used RVs of the United States and Europe are being preferred in the regional market. As they offer more reliability at affordable prices. Smaller RVs are preferred over bigger and bulkier, due to narrow roads or less availability of parking spaces.
Japan will witness the highest market growth
According to Japan Recreational Vehicle Association, in 2005, the number of RV owners in Japan is around 50,000, but by end of 2015 the number had nearly doubled to 95,100, and in 2018 the number of units was 112,500. Also, the number of units shipped was increasing every year, and overall sales marked a new record in 2018 of 45.8 billion yen.
JRVA promotes RV culture through conducting interviews producing an original publication, novelty goods, and plans and manages tradeshows and camping car events in japan to expose more people to the pleasure of the RV culture. JRVA has constituted cooperation with administrative agencies, campgrounds, and leisure-related industries. For instance, JRVA established a user club named Kurumatabi Club, which introduced a You-yu Park service which allows users to take advantage of services and parking of member-hotels.
Similarly, China also promotes RV culture through various events and exhibitions. For instance, All in Caravanning (AIC), an annual RV expo which was held in Beijing in 2018, the event witnessed participation of about 700 exhibitors affiliated with the RV industry, along with that the expo was attended by more than 300 brands which include European brands such as Adria, Pilote, Dethleffs and domestic manufacturers such as RV International and Brilliance Auto.
The Asia-Pacific recreational vehicle market is fragmented due to the presence of many local players and the increasing presence of global players in the region such as Thor Industries Inc, and Winnebago Industries, Inc. Many global players are forming a joint venture with local companies to increase their market presence and diversifying their product portfolio. Also, companies are incorporating the latest technologies in their motorhome to provide the best experience to the occupants. For instance,
- In 2019, at China Beijing International Recreational Vehicle and Camping ExhibitionIVECO launched its intelligent Daily Recreational Vehicle, and along with that, it displayed more than twenty imported IVECO Daily RVs. These RVs are equipped with features such as remote temperature and ventilation control, lighting, one-button parking.
- In 2018, Erwin Hymer Group entered into a joint venture with the Chinese Lingyu Group for manufacturing and sales of caravans and motorhomes the combined entity will be called as Luoyang Erwin Hymer-Loncen Caravan Co. LTD.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support