The United States paints and coatings market is estimated to witness a significant growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 4%, over the forecast period. Increasing commercial construction activities in the country are driving the demand for the market studied.
- Strict regulations on the usage of VOC-Free contents and substitution of alternative chemicals are estimated to hamper the growth of the market studied.
- The use of nanotechnology in the paints and coatings industry is expected to offer various opportunities for the growth of the market studied during the forecast period.
- In the end-user segment, architectural sector dominated the market in the country. However, packaging sector is likely to have the highest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Acrylic Resin Dominating the Market
- Acrylic resins are the most widely used polymers in the paint and coatings industry. Most of the acrylic paints are water-based or solvent-based and are available as emulsions (latices), lacquers (lower volume solids), enamels (higher volume solids), and powders (100% solids).
- The common acrylic polymers come in a wide variety of types and combinations, such as methyl and butyl methacrylate. In the case of inexpensive paints, polyvinyl acetate is used primarily.
- The two principal forms of acrylic used are thermoplastic and thermoset. Thermoplastics acrylic resins are synthetic resins achieved by polymerization of different acrylic monomers. Thermosets are cured at elevated temperatures by reacting them with other polymers. Thermoplastic acrylic resins are of two types, namely solution acrylics and acrylic latex coatings.
- Furthermore, the acrylic resins develop properties, such as transparency, high colorability, and UV resistance in coating solutions. They are used in waterborne systems very often, which result in low VOC emission. The application of acrylic coatings leads to high surface hardness. In certain applications, such as walls, decks, and roofing, the acrylic coatings provide elastomeric finishes to improve the UV resistance of the surface, if employed with some fluids.
- The application of acrylic coatings is primarily found in the construction industry for high-end finishing in roofs, decks, bridges, floors, and other applications. The water-based acrylic coatings are high in demand, owing to the environmental concerns, as the negative impact of VOCs affecting the air quality in the environment.
- The primary binder type in the united states paints and coatings market is acrylic, with a total share of more than 70% of all the waterborne coatings. Acrylic is widely used in architectural coatings.
- Such positive factors are likely to increase demand over the forecast period.
Increasing Demand from Architectural Industry
- Paints and coatings are not only used in the interiors of houses to add colors or decorative purposes, but also to perform a wide range of functions. Their functions vary depending on the type of environment and room that they are used on.
- For example, because of moisture, the bathroom walls need to have wipe-ability for keeping them clean. Paints with glossier sheens have a tighter molecular structure than flat paints, making it more difficult for moisture to penetrate. So, these types of paints are used in bathroom.
- Paints and coatings are applied on the exterior of the house to not only to give them a new look, but also to protect them from blistering summers, freezing winters, soaking rain, and the daily bombardment of UV radiation without fading, peeling away, and cracking.
- The modern advancements in paint technology, specifically in the acrylic formulations, have offered a wide range of weatherproof coatings.
- Growing infrastructure in the United States, which is one of the major consumers of architectural coatings, is driving the market.
- The construction industry in the United States continued to expand, owing to a strong economy and positive market fundamentals for commercial real estate, along with an increase in federal and state funding for public works and institutional buildings.
- Owing to all these factors, the demand for paints and coatings in the country is expected to increase during the forecast period.
The market studied is highly consolidated, with the top five players contributing to more than 70% of the market share. Key players in the market include The Sherwin-Williams Company, PPG Industries, Inc., RPM International Inc., and Masco Corporation, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support