STD diagnostics market is projected to grow at a significant rate over the forecast period. The growing prevalence of STD's globally increases patient awareness through education campaigns and growing government initiatives are anticipated to drive market growth. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), more than 30 different bacteria, viruses and parasites are known to be transmitted through sexual contact. Globally, more than 1 million curable sexually transmitted infections (STIs) occur each day.
Furthermore, advancements in the STD diagnostics and R&D in developing new technologies are projected to fuel the market growth. Also, the market is witnessing a major shift from conventional technologies to molecular diagnostics for the diagnosis of STD's is the major breakthrough for the growth of the market. However, the social stigma around visiting the clinics regarding sexual diseases coupled with stringent regulatory policies are projected to hamper the market growth over the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Gonorrhea Projected to Have Significant Share
- Gonorrhea, caused by Neisseria gonorrhoeae, is the second most common bacterial STI and results in substantial morbidity and economic cost worldwide. It is also known as "the clap".
- The bacteria are mainly found in discharge from the penis and in vaginal fluid. Gonorrhoea is easily passed between people through unprotected vaginal, oral or anal sex. Gonorrhoea can be easily diagnosed by testing a sample of discharge picked up using a swab.
- Gonorrhea is also diagnosed by physical examination, including pelvic exam in young women, and thorough medical history, plus laboratory testing of cervical, vaginal or penile secretions.
- According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention in 2017, a total of 555,608 cases of gonorrhoea were reported in the United States, yielding a rate of 171.9 cases per 100,000 population. During 2016–2017, the rate of reported gonorrhoea cases increased by 18.6% and increased 75.2% since the historic low in 2009.
- Similarly, according to Public Health England Report, 2018, There were 56,259 diagnoses of gonorrhoea reported in 2018, a 26% increase since 2017. The rising burden of gonorrhoea worldwide projected to boost the market growth over forecast period.
North America holds largest share in Global STD Diagnostics Market
The global sexually transmitted diseases diagnostics market is dominated by North America, owing to the high prevalence of the STD's. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s Sexually Transmitted Infections Surveillance Report, the rate of sexually transmitted infections is steadily increasing, with an estimated 1.7 million cases of chlamydia and more than 500,000 cases of gonorrhea in the US in 2017 alone.
Additionally, the presence of public healthcare insurance plans is fostering healthcare consciousness amongst people, availability of FDA-approved advanced sexually transmitted disease testing devices, high healthcare expenditure is likely to boost the market growth in North America.
Key players in STD diagnostics market are Abbott Laboratories, MedMira Inc, Qaigen Inc, Cepheid (Danaher Corporation), F. Hoffmann-La Roche AG, Diasorin S.p.A, bioMeriuex, Hologic, Inc, Bio-Rad Laboratories, Inc., amongst others. These companies focus on the partnership and product/technology licensing opportunities in the sexually transmitted diseases diagnostics industry. In May 2019, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has cleared two tests "The Aptima Combo 2 Assay (Hologic Inc) and the Xpert CT/NG (Cepheid)" to detect Chlamydia trachomatis and Neisseria gonorrhoeae from throat and rectum samples.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support