The global polydextrose market is projected to record a CAGR of 5.4% during the forecast period, 2020-2025.
- The market is primarily driven by the increased application of polydextrose in bakery and confectioneryproducts, supplements, beverages, sauces, and others, owing to its inherent properties like low calorie, odorless, and solubility among others.
- The market is also driven by the increased applications of polydextrose as a humectant, stabilizer, and thickener, in bakery and confectionery products, beverages, yogurts, salad dressings and others. Also, with the rising number of diseases like obesity, diabetes and others, the use of polydextrose has increased in functional edible products as it is high in fiber and is low in calories.
- However, the availability of a large number of ingredients, such as gelatin and stevia among others, which can be used as a replacement of polydextrose, is expected to lower the market share. The presence of a large number of substitutes is expected to pose a threat to polydextrose manufacturers by lowering its bargaining power
Key Market Trends
Shift Towards Low-Calorie Dietary Trends
Globally, consumers are becoming more concerned about the food and beverages they consume. In fact, over 50% of consumers are trying to avoid sugars and a large portion of consumers are looking to add more fiber to their diet. By adding polydextrose in their food and beverage products, food and beverage manufacturers are meeting emerging consumer demands as it provides the mouthfeel and texture of sugar, making it an ideal alternative in products that offer reduced sugar and calories. Thus, the market share for reduced sugar food and beverages is rising rapidly in developed markets, such as Italy, in turn, driving the market for ingredients, such as polydextrose that replace sugars in foods and beverages.
North America Emerged as A Leading Region
North America held the largest market share in the global polydextrose market in 2019 and is anticipated to grow at a significant rate over the forecast period due to favorable regulations implemented by the U.S. FDA. Further, the demand for polydextrose is projected to be the highest in the Asia-Pacific countries, like India and China, during the forecast period, owing to the developments in functional food products and rising health concerns in this region.
Companies are observed to engage in agreements with food and beverage manufacturers to expand their market share. Further, extensive marketing of polydextrose by placing significant emphasis on its properties and utilization is expected to increase the awareness about the product, thereby, driving its demand in the future. In December 2017, Tate & Lyle expanded its manufacturing capacity and upgraded its processes at its STA-LITE® Polydextrose facility in Nantong, Jiangsu Province, China. This expansion has increased the capacity at the facility in Nantong by more than three times from when it was acquired by Tate & Lyle in 2014.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support