The growth of the global periodontal market is due to the increasing geriatric population across the world. Medical and dental tourism is experiencing growth in the developing markets, which is also one of the prime factors responsible for market growth. Oral hygiene has become one of the most important parameters for staying healthy. Therefore, the growing awareness about oral hygiene is driving the periodontal market, specifically in the developed countries. However, in developing countries, ignorance of personal hygiene is negatively affecting the growth of the periodontal market.
Reimbursement policies for dental treatments are not adequate in developing countries. There are some policies that provide complete reimbursement for dental procedures, yet people have to pay significantly for such procedures. Inadequate reimbursement plans restrict the growth of the periodontal market. Den-Mat Holdings LLC, Dentsply Sirona, Biohorizons Implant Systems Inc., Dexcel Pharma, and Zimmer Biomet Inc. are some of the major players in the market studied.
Key Market Trends
Surgical Devices Segment is Expected to Exhibit Fastest Growth Rate Over the Forecast Period
- The surgical devices segment is expected to exhibit the fastest growth rate in the overall market, over the forecast period. This segment comprises dental bone implants and dental bone grafts. Dental bone implants hold the largest share in the surgical treatment segment. The dental implants sub-segment is further segmented into endosteal and subperiosteal. Endosteal contributes the largest share in the dental implants sub-segment.
- Endosteal (i.e. in the bone) is the most commonly used type of implant. The various types of endosteal include screws, cylinders, or blades surgically placed into the jawbone. Each implant holds one or more prosthetic teeth. This type of implant is generally used as an alternative, for patients with bridges or removable dentures. Endosteal implants are also generally more widely available than subperiosteal implants.
- However, the obvious disadvantage of endosteal implants is that it requires two separate surgical procedures to install. Moreover, prolonged healing periods can leave the patient without an implant for a long time. This option is also unsuitable for people with damaged bone tissues in their jaws, which can often result from facial injuries or severe periodontal diseases. Hence, the demand for endosteal implants is expected to increase, over the forecast period.
North America Captured the Largest Market Share and is Expected to Retain its Dominance
- North America holds the largest share in the global periodontal market, with the United States being the largest contributor to its revenue. Periodontal disease and tooth decay are the two biggest threats to dental health in the United States.
- Research studies indicate that gum disease may be linked to several other diseases, including diabetes, heart disease, and certain forms of cancer, hence, maintaining good oral hygiene has become more important than ever.
- A high burden of periodontal disease in the US adult population is expected, especially among adults aged 65 years and above. Periodontal disease is associated with age, and as the life expectancy of US citizens is higher, they retain most of their natural teeth. Furthermore, periodontal diseases are expected to gain prominence among the US adult population. Therefore, public health programs are required to improve the oral health of US adults.
- The global periodontal market is highly competitive and consists of several major players. The existing major players in the periodontal market employ strong competitive strategies, leading to a high rivalry among themselves. Moreover, the increasing level of advertising expenses, coupled with powerful strategies, is further increasing the competition among key players.
- Hence, the presence of major market players, such as Dentsply Sirona, The 3M Company, Medtronic PLC, Straumann AG, and Bausch Health Companies, is increasing the overall competitive rivalry in the market studied. The product advancements and improvement in periodontal products by the major players are increasing the competitive rivalry.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support