The oilfield equipment market is expected to register a CAGR of over 2% during the forecast period (2020 – 2025). Factors, such as increasing number of deep-water and ultra-deepwater fields and the growing drilling operations in regions (like South America, North America, and Middle-East and Africa), are expected to drive the demand for oilfield equipment market. However, the volatile oil prices, owing to the supply-demand gap and geopolitics, are some of the major factors restraining the growth of the market studied.
The onshore segment is expected to have the maximum share in the market, in 2021. Onshore drilling encompasses all the drilling sites located on dry land and accounts for 70% of worldwide oil production.
The increasing oil and gas discoveries, coupled with the liberalization in the industry, globally, has been leading to the creation of new opportunities for the players to invest in.
North America is estimated to have the maximum share of the oilfield equipment market, in 2018. Additionally, the growth rate of South America is expected to be the highest, primarily due to the rapidly increasing oil and gas activities in the region, over the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Onshore Segment to Dominate the Market
- Onshore drilling encompasses all the drilling sites located on dry land and accounts for 70% of worldwide oil production. Onshore drilling is similar to offshore drilling, but without the difficulty of deep water between the platform and oil.
- The global crude oil prices have shown signs of recovery and are improving at a good pace, and the onshore projects are easier to kick start than offshore ones. Therefore, riding on the optimism associated with the recovery of crude oil prices, onshore projects are expected to record significant growth over the forecast period, in turn, driving the demand for the oilfield equipment market.
- In August 2018, Baker Hughes company was awarded a development contract by Cairn Vedanta Limited, to construct approx. 300 new wells and deploy a chemical enhance oil recovery program, aimed at increasing production in Rajasthan, India. The project marks the largest integrated project for BHGE in India, expanding its presence in the country and supporting the government’s mission of reducing dependency on imports.
- In 2019, ONGC announced that it allotted INR 6,000 crore in drilling 200 wells over the next seven years in Assam, to increase the output from the state. The wells are expected to be drilled during the next seven years.
- Hence, new investments in the onshore oil and gas industry, increasing exploration of unconventional resources, and the crude oil price stability, are expected to increase the demand for the oilfield equipment market around the world.
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America is expected to dominate the oilfield equipment market in 2019, and it is expected to continue its dominance during the forecast period.
- The share of North America in global crude oil production increased from 18.8% in 2001 to around 23% in 2018, which resulted in an increased demand for oilfield equipment in the region.
- As a result of higher oil prices and declining drilling costs, the offshore rig count and offshore oil production in the United States increased significantly, indicating that growth is not only offshore drilling but also production activity. This, in turn, is expected to be the major driver for the oilfield equipment market in the country.
- Canada’s oil and gas industry is expected to attract rising investment interests in the future, on account of an aggressive push by Newfoundland and Labrador, as prices plummet in oil-rich Alberta.
- Therefore, factors, such as rising oil and gas investments and development of shale plays in the region, are expected to give a growth to the oilfield equipment market in the forecast period.
The oilfield equipment market is partially consolidated with some of the top companies holding the major share of the market. Some of the companies are Schlumberger Limited, Baker Hughes Company, Halliburton Company, Weatherford International PLC, and National Oilwell Varco Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support