The market for drilling waste management services in Middle-East is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 1.5% during the forecast period of 2020 – 2025. Factors such as upstream activities, particularly exploration and drilling activities, which continue to expand across the Middle-East region, are set to increase the demand for oilfield services in the region. The rising drilling activities across the region are likely to augment the drilling waste management services market in the coming years. Increasing government regulations, such as reducing pollution because of the release of harmful gases and landfills during drilling activities, are expected to drive the drilling waste management services market during the forecast period. However, the lack of skilled labour and high initial investments are some of the factors restraining the market growth.
- Growing drilling activity, particularly onshore drilling activity, is expected to drive the drilling waste management services market during the forecast period. However, onshore oil production accounts for around 70% of global oil production.
- Increase in the exploration and production (E&P) activities in deepwater and ultra-deepwater reservoirs is expected to increase the number of wells drilled, and drive the demand for the oilfield services, thereby creating opportunity for the drilling waste management services market.
- Saudi Arabia is expected to maintain its dominance in the forecast period, owing to the increased drilling and completion activities.
Key Market Trends
Onshore Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- The market for drilling waste management services in Middle-East saw a growth slowdown owing to the volatile oil prices in recent years. But with the oil prices expected to become stable in the coming years, the market is expected to show growth during the forecasted period.
- Onshore drilling encompasses all the drilling sites located on dry land and accounts for 70% of the global oil production. Onshore drilling is similar as offshore drilling but without the difficulty of deep water between the platform and the oil.
- Moreover, the region is home to the world’s largest onshore oilfields, consisting of Ghawar Oilfield in Saudi Arabia, with proved reserves upwards of 75 billion barrels of oil.
- Also, the demand for onshore land drilling rigs is directly influenced by the demand growth for fossil fuels and global onshore exploration and production activities. North America has held the largest share of the demand, followed by the Middle-East and Latin America. In the Middle-East, Oman, Saudi Arabia, and Kuwait are the biggest areas for land rigs. The land rigs segment in the Middle East has exhibited one of the highest growth rates in the world, over the last 20 years.
- Furthermore, the average onshore rig count in the Middle-East region, since Jan 2019- June 2020, is estimated by Baker Hughes Company to be around 356 units. An increase in exploration and production in areas such as the Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, and Oman etc. may aid the growth of the onshore segment of the market.
- Hence, with new investments in the onshore oil and gas industry, the increasing exploration of unconventional resources are expected to increase the demand for drilling waste management services market during the forecast period.
Saudi Arabia to Dominate the Market
- Saudi Arabia is one of the major oil producers globally. The crude oil exports account for the country’s 90% of total export earnings. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia (KSA) has maintained high crude oil production levels despite a drop in global crude oil prices.
- Oil and gas drilling activity in Saudi Arabia is anticipated to increase on account of government policy to drive the oil and gas production in the country. The policy to drive upstream activity is expected to promulgate the market in the coming years.
- The country plans to double its gas production over the next decade, as it plans to switch local power plants to gas from oil, so that it can export more oil, which is a positive indicator for the oil and gas industry, thus, increases the demand for drilling waste management services.
- The country also has plans to expand the giant Khurais oilfield, adding 300,000 b/d of additional production capacity. In addition, expansion of the Berri field is likely to add an addition 250,000b/d production capacity, although a timeline for this project has yet to be confirmed.
- In February 2019, ADES International, an oil and gas drilling and production company, received two onshore drilling contracts in Saudi Arabia worth USD 150 million. Each secured contract has a tenure of seven years, with five fixed years and two years of optional terms, thus driving the demand for drilling activity, in turn, driving the demand for drilling waste management services market.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, Saudi Arabia is expected to dominate the drilling waste management services market during the forecast period.
The Middle-East drilling waste management services market is moderately consolidated. Some of the major players includes Halliburton Company, Schlumberger Ltd, Baker Hughes Co., Weatherford International PLC, and National Oil Well Varco Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support