The Middle-East and Africa polyurethane (PU) hot-melt adhesives market is estimated to witness a significant growth, at an estimated CAGR of over 6%, over the forecast period. Increasing demand from the packaging industry in the region and booming woodworking industry in the United Arab Emirates are expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Adoption of bio-based hot-melt adhesives are projected to create opportunities to the market growth in the coming years.
- South Africa is expected to dominate the market and is also expected to witness the fastest CAGR during the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Packaging Industry
- Polyurethane hot melts are increasingly used in the production of automotive interior panels. In addition, PU hot-melt adhesives can be used during the manufacturing of car seats, for fixing cables in the roof liner, to bond door sill protectors, and other plastic parts. They can also be used to bond emblems, as well as anchor plates onto gear knobs.
- A wide variety of different assembly bonds are required. Retainer bonding, the bonding of the steel frames of the sunroofs, window tracks etc. Different materials, such as, plastics, metals, lacquers, textiles, and wood- based materials can be bonded securely. The quick cooling of the applied adhesive allows short set times, and the subsequent chemical crosslinking with the aid of moisture, guarantees high temperature, and climate resistance. Even at low temperatures, these hot melts prove to be flexible and tend not to brittle. The adhesive bead cuts off cleanly without stringing, therefore avoiding contamination of the decor area, when the hot melt is applied robotically.
- These adhesive systems are also more frequently used for lamination applications. The adhesive can be applied economically with new application technology. When using holt-melt adhesives, the 100% solids are being applied, as compared to the use of dispersion adhesives (which ensures maximum efficiency of adhesive consumption). Complex and cost-intensive drying processes of the adhesive film can be avoided.
- Hot-melt PUR are used in road atlases on the back shelf of a car, as they can withstand extreme temperatures.
- The aforementioned factors have been boosting the demand for polyurethane hot-melt adhesives, in the recent times.
South Africa to Dominate the Market Growth
- South Africa is the largest automotive manufacturer in Africa. In recent years, many vehicle manufacturers have increased their production and export from the South African operations, on the back of incentives that were offered as part of the government’s Automotive Production and Development Plan (APDP).
- The building & construction industry in South Africa has a positive outlook, despite the decline in the market. The increase in demand for housing and the growth in new residents in urban areas has led to increase in new constructions. The government’s National Infrastructural Plan is supporting this growth with new projects in the near future.
- The electronics market in South Africa slowed down, due to a lack of government support and unfair import duties on many electro-mechanical components and switches. The market potential for this electronics market is higher, with quality products, until major supportive plans by government or FDI are implemented and the demand for production increases.
- Owing to all the above-mentioned factors, the market for polyurethane hot-melt adhesives is expected to increase during the forecast period.
The Middle-East and Africa polyurethane (PU) hot-melt adhesives market is partially consolidated in nature. Key players in the market include Jowat SE, Arkema Group, H.B. Fuller Company, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, and Sika AG, among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support