The market for wireline logging services in India is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 2.3% during the forecast period of 2020 – 2025. Factors, such as increasing demand for oil and natural gas and increasing investments in the upstream oil and gas sectors across the country are expected to drive the wireline logging services market during the forecast period. However, high volatile oil prices are expected to be the restraining factor not only for the oil and gas industry but also for the well logging services market.
- Offshore segment is expected to witness significant demand during the forecast period, owing to the development of offshore oil and gas projects in the Asia-Pacific region, mainly from India.
- The increasing oil and gas discoveries, coupled with the liberalization in the industry, have been leading to the creation of new opportunities for the players to invest in the country studied market.
- Increasing the investments in oil and gas industry is expected to drive the market, as India is considered as one of the major energy consumers that primarily depends on imports to meet the oil & gas requirements. country.
Key Market Trends
Offshore Segment to Witness Significant Demand
- In 2018, Offshore production made around 49.2% of the oil produced and produce 71.9% of the gas produced in India. India has 26 sedimentary basins, of which only seven have commercial production of oil and gas.
- Around 22,010 Million Metric Standard Cubic Meter per Day (MMSCM) of natural gas was produced from the offshore fields, in 2018, which decreased from 22,157, in 2017 and around 18,145 Thousand Metric Tons (TMT) of oil was generated from the offshore oilfields alone, in 2018 which fell about 1.35% from 18400 TMT.
- As of 2018, India was the third-largest net crude oil (including crude oil products) importer, importing as much as 205.3 million ton. Further, during 2017-18, approximately 589 wells were drilled, in which 144 were exploratory wells and 445 were development wells. In recent years, the country witnessed a total of 225 hydrocarbon discoveries (116 Oil and 109 Gas) and had 26 field development projects during the starting phase of 2019.
- In December 2019, State-owned Oil and Natural Gas Corporation (ONGC) and Oil India Ltd (OIL) planned to spend around Rs 1.77 lakh crore over five years on exploration and production related activities. Also, the projected investment forecast for the next five years is tentative and is based upon existing acreage and assessment made by the companies.
- In June 2020, State-owned Oil India Limited (OIL) had managed to get environmental clearances to expand its hydrocarbon testing and drilling activity in the eco-sensitive Baghjan area of Assam’s Tinsukia district without facing public hearings.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, offshore segment is expected to witness significant demand for wireline logging services in India during the forecast period.
Increasing Investment in the Oil & Gas Sector to Drive the Market
- India is one of the largest consumers of the oil and gas industry, and the consumption in the country is also increasing at a substantial rate i.e. oil consumption in 2019 was 242 million tonnes, whereas, in 2018, it was 235.1 million tonnes.
- The Indian and Chinese governments are encouraging investments in the upstream industry, to reduce their dependence on imports. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs (CCEA) of India has approved a new shale gas policy, which permits state-owned and private companies to explore and produce natural gas in shale plays.
- The government has also introduced reforms that allow 100% foreign direct investment (FDI) in the oil & gas sector. As a result of these reforms, it is estimated that India is expected to attract about USD 40 billion worth investments in the exploration & production (E&P) industry.
- Changes in the policies for exploration and production have led to some growth in the industry. Companies look prudent as changes may bring ease in the sector. In a significant overhaul of oil and gas exploration permits, the government decided, in 2019, not charge any share of profit on hydrocarbons produced from less explored areas as it looks to attract the elusive private and foreign investment to raise domestic output.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, increasing the investment in oil and gas industry is expected to increase the growth of wireline logging services in India during the forecast period.
The India wireline logging services market is moderately consolidated. Some of the major players includes Schlumberger Ltd, HLS Asia Limited (HLSA), Weatherford International plc, Baker Hughes Company, and SGS SA.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support