The Histology and Cytology Market is expected to register a CAGR of 13.5% during the forecast period. The propelling factors for the growth of the histology and cytology market include the rising prevalence of cancer, increasing standardization of pathological laboratories, technological advancements in diagnostic and molecular techniques, and favourable reimbursements for cancer screening and laboratory tests.
The increasing burden of cancer on society is found to be a major threat to the developing countries, owing to lower disposable income and dynamic demographics. Cancer has been the leading cause for mortality, globally and has resulted in deaths that have accounted for the largest share of mortality.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO), estimates that cancer was the second leading cause of death globally, and is responsible for an estimated 9.6 million deaths in the year 2018. Globally, about 1 in 6 deaths is due to cancer. About 70% of deaths from cancer occur in low- and middle-income countries. Thus, the growing prevalence of cancer patients has a direct impact on the increased demand for the histology and cytology market. These histological methods thus help in increasing the sensitivity, specificity, and accuracy of diagnostic methods.
Similarly, the combined methods help in the better diagnosis of diseases, such as breast and lung cancer. Thus, the prevalence of cancer plays a vital role in increasing the demand of the histology and cytology market.
Therefore globally, there has been a growing adoption of cytological tests due to its less invasive nature as compared to biopsy and higher reliability. These are likely to drive the overall market during the forecast period.
Furthermore, the histology and cytology market has also experienced a huge growth with regard to the healthcare industries as a number of fatal diseases can be diagnosed through these clinical studies. It has been found that a number of infectious diseases can be identified, such as cancer, cervical disease, abnormal growth, inflammatory diseases, leukemia, smallpox, rabies, etc., and thus the molecular techniques are being carried out to detect specific proteins, receptors, viruses and enzymes in tissues, which will help in the detection as well as in the treatment of the diseases.
Key Market Trends
The Cytology Segment is is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share in the Histology and Cytology Market
- Cytology tests are useful for both the diagnosis and screening of various cancer types. The cytology segment has a wide range of applications in multiple cancer types. Due to the observations at the cellular levels, the companies primarily prefer cytology-based diagnostic methods. Since in the coming decade, companies are focusing on diagnosis at the molecular level, cytology is expected to play a vital role.
- The cost of histological tests is higher than cytology studies, mainly due to the multiple phases involved in its preparation, whereas no such stages are classified for cytology slides.
- According to the World Health Organization (WHO), estimates that breast cancer is the most frequent cancer among women, impacting 2.1 million women every year globally, and responsible for a higher number of cancer-related deaths among women. In 2018, it was estimated that about 627,000 women died from breast cancer that is approximately 15% of all cancer deaths among women.
- Thus, owing to the above factors during the forecast period, the demand for cytological methods are expected to grow, with more number of companies exploring the method.
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market and Expected to do Same in the Forecast Period
North America expected to hold a major market share in the histology and cytology market due to increasing geriatric population, growing cancer incidence and raising awareness about cancer screening in this region. According to the American Cancer Society, cancer is the second most common cause of death in the United States, exceeded only by heart disease. It estimates that about 606,520 Americans are expected to die of cancer in 2020 which translates to about 1,660 deaths per day. Hence, all these factors are expected to help propel the histology and cytology market. Furthermore, awareness pertaining to advance therapeutics and presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure is also fueling the growth of the overall regional market to a large extent.
The Histology and Cytology Market is fragmented competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players are currently dominating the market. Some of the key players operating are Abbott Laboratories, Becton, Dickinson and Company, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, Hologic Inc., Sysmex Corporation, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., and Trivitron Healthcare.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support