Global Fructo Oligosaccharide Market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 11.2% during the forecast period (2019-2024).
- Fructo oligosaccharide is a slightly sweet carbohydrate found naturally in the roots of certain plants (chicory root, Jerusalem artichoke, leek, asparagus, wheat bran and bananas) or is synthesized by the enzymatic extraction from inulin. The increased scope for application in industries, like animal feed, is a potential opportunity in the market.
- The increasing scope for products and dietary supplements with functional benefits, increasing health-conscious among the global population, and increasing concern toward obesity are driving the market for prebiotics, such as FOS, GOS, and MOS.
Scope of the Report
Global Fructo Oligosaccharide Market is segmented by Type as Solid and Liquid; By Application as Infant Formula, Fortified Food & Beverage, Dietary Supplements, Animal Feed, and Pharmaceuticals; By Source as Sucrose, Inulin, and Food Dextrin & Geography.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand For Prebiotics
The global prebiotics market size is projected to experience significant growth within the functional food industry, owing to wide applications in dairy products, nutrition bars, weight loss products, mineral supplements, green food, and health drinks. Prebiotics found majorly in foods, like bananas, onion, leek, wheat bran, cereals, table spreads, biscuits, and yogurt, helping consumers maintain their health. The increasing consumption of prebiotics, especially in mature markets, like North America and Europe, is expected to drive the market during the forecast period. FOS demand, as a prebiotic, is growing at a faster rate. Few functional benefits of FOS that aid market growth are: Low sweetness intensity, Enhance the immunity of consumers, it can supply small amount of energy as a sugar substitute- approx. 0-3 kcal/g.
Europe Is the Dominant Market for FOS
Europe holds the largest share of 42%, followed by North America, and Asia-Pacific. Europe is the dominant market for FOS due to increased consumption of prebiotic through dietary and infant nutrition products. Due to the growing health awareness and rising disposable income, Asia- Pacific is projected to witness the fastest growth rate of 11.6% during the forecast period. Increasing urbanization is fuelling the sale of packaged food items, thereby, augmenting the demand for FOS, as a sweetener in the market. The European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) recently issued a positive opinion for a health claim about the replacement of sugars with non-digestible carbohydrates in foods and beverages and reduction of post-prandial glycaemic responses. EFSA experts mentioned that replacing sugars with any non-digestible carbohydrates would result in the claimed effect. For the health claim to be valid, food and drinks should contain at least 30% less sugars, as compared to the reference containing sugars.
The key players of the global fructo oligosaccharide market includes Victory Biology Engineering Co. Ltd, Beghin Meiji, Beneo-Orafti SA, Cargill Inc., Cosucra-Groupe Warcoing SA, Ingredion Incorporated, Prebiotin, GTC Nutrition, CJ CheilJedang, Jarrow Formulas, Quantum Hi-Tech and Shadong Bailong Chuangyuan amongst others. Cargill Inc. partnered with Cosucra to increase its focus on inulin and FOS production and marketing.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support