The fiber optic test equipment market is expected to grow at a CAGR of 7.15% over the forecast period (2020 - 2025). As the telecommunication industry is rapidly adopting fiber optic cables for attaining high-speed data transfer, the importance of testing equipment for these has increased over the years in manufacturing, inspection, on-field troubleshooting of network systems as well as research and development phases across the industries.
- From past recent year, the penetration of LTE networks and fixed broadband subscription has rapidly grown and is expected to follow the trend in the forecast period. The recent report by GSME has states that, mobile operators are expected to invest USD 160 billion by 2020 for the expansion of their 5G networks to a larger footprint. Also, Ericsson mobility report have mentioned the fixed broadband connection is expected to grow steadily by 3% year-on-year till 2024, which is expected to drive growth for fiber optic test equipment market.
- Additionally, the government is taking initiative like smart city programs with fiber optic rich network to enable smooth flow of IoT infrastructure. Fiber optic network enables the technology to drive utilities like water, electricity, wastewater and sewerage management, as well as its security and communication. According to UN, over 68% of the global population is estimated to live in urban areas by the year 2050, which will fuel more smart city projects globally.
- However, the high of testing equipment and due to lack of awareness & technical knowledge for these equipment, the adoption rate is restricted to an extent.
Scope of the Report
The scope of the study for fiver optic test equipment market has considered type of equipments offered by the vendors across the world. As most the end-user industries use services from ISPs for their communication network, the end-user application segmentation is limited to telecommunication and data centers.
Key Market Trends
Telecommunication Industry to have Largest Market Share
- Fiber optics network has gained over most of the Internet, phone, and television data transmission worldwide today. Also, with the expansion of these networks, user load is continuously increasing, leading to the need in the development of standardized fiber testing practices. The application of fiber optic network in the telecommunication industry in a wide range of area including, fixed broadband connection and TV cable connection providers, to offer continued and effective high-speed, high-quality services to customers, the telecommunication companies are concentrating on its maintenance part of its fiber-optic network.
- Additionally, with the increasing investment for 5G/LTE infrastructure by the telecommunication companies across the globe is one of the significant factor driving the demand for fiber optic test equipment in the industry. These companies are taking initiatives to accelerate the 5G/LTE infrastructure. For instance, in September 2019, Ericsson announced to partner with Next-Tech Wireless to expand its 5G infrastructure to cater to rural areas in the United States. According to Deloitte, the United States has the least level of 5G network sites, which creates more opportunities for the players to expand in the country.
- Moreover, FTTX council stated that to realize the maximum benefit from 5G infrastructure; it will take eight-times more extensive fiber network will be needed than currently have laid down. Advent to that, they also mentioned that over 89% of the traffic would be on the fiber network whereas only 11% of it will rely on the mobile network.
Asia-Pacific Region to Witness the Fastest Growth
- Data centers are one of the largest consumers of the fiber optics, which enables the data centers to provide high-speed data transmission with fewer complexities of connections between racks of switches and other parts of the data centers. Owing to the high power consumption by the data centers, researchers have been investing in increasing the use of low power fiber optics. The rise in the number of data centers in the region is estimated to increase the demand for fiber optic test equipment in the market.
- According to the report on Energy Consumption of Data Centers In China, the current numbers of small and medium-sized data centers in China has exceeded 400,000, and the annual total power demand has reached by 100 billion kWh, i.e., around 250,000 kWh for each data center annually. Also, the rising trend of Data localization in the country will further promote the development of data centers.
- Additionally, the telecommunication companies in the region are taking initiatives to strengthen the 5G infrastructure in the region. For instance, global telecommunication collaboratively took an initiative to launch an Open Test and Integration Center (OTIC) in India. In this collaboration, companies including Reliance Jio, China Mobile, among others. Such initiatives are expected to continue which may fuel the adoption of fiber optic test equipment in the market.
- Furthermore, the increasing investments in the smart city initiatives in the region is also expected to drive the fiber optic test equipment market.
The market for fiber optics test equipment is moderately consolidated due to the presence of a few companies present in the market. Also, these companies are extensively investing in offering a wide range of technologies to the customers for application-specific to field measurement, monitoring, and maintenance. Moreover, these are companies are continuously investing in making strategic partnership and acquisition along with product development to gain more market share. Some of the recent developments by the companies are listed below.
- February 2019- Anritsu launched its latest handheld spectrum analyzer Master Pro MS2090A, to offer coverage up to 54 GHz and real-time analysis for bandwidth up to 100 MHz to cater current and emerging applications across the industries.
- February 2018- EXFO, Inc. announced the acquisition of Astellia, a telecommunication company which offers network and subscriber intelligence by investing EUR 25.9 million. With this acquisition the company has planned to deliver extended fiber optic test equipment and network intelligence solution portfolio to the customers.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support