The European gas turbine MRO market in the power sector is expected to register a CAGR of over 2% during the forecast period of 2020 – 2025. Factors, such as aging installations of gas turbine, need to maintain operational efficiency and stringent emissions norms from power plants, are expected to be major drivers driving the market. The increasing demand for cleaner energy from gas turbines over concerns of the environmental impact of energy generation from coal-fired plants is expected to help grow the gas turbine MRO market in the power sector. However, increasing shift toward renewable energies, such as solar and wind for power generation, have somewhat hampered the growth of the market.
- The maintenance sector is expected to dominate the market in the forecast period, owing to various factors, such as an increase in power generation from gas-based plants due to rising concerns over greenhouse gas emissions, maintaining the efficiency of the turbine, and stringent emissions norms on power plants.
- The increasing demand for electrical energy to sustain global development requires consistent heavy investments in power supply generation. This has helped the market for gas turbines MRO market in power sector grow significantly in recent years and is expected to do so in forecast period.
- The United Kingdom is expected to dominate the market, increase in the number of gas-based power generation plant, and aging gas-based power plants, are expected to drive the market in forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Maintenance Sector to Dominate the Market
- The increase in the production of natural gas has shifted the global focus on the development of gas-fired power plants. The greenhouse gases emitted from gas-fired power plants are comparatively lower than that emitted from coal-fired power plants. Moreover, the demand for peak power is increasing globally, which can be most effectively met by gas-based power generation.
- The increase in the number of gas-based power generation plants leads to growth in the gas turbine MRO market, while a gas turbine might need an engine repair or replacement in 4-5 years, the maintenance starts soon after installation.
- The most recent wave of additions, gas-based power plants, saw a peak in 2002, with a majority of them added between 1998 and 2008. Thus, the equipment installed in approximately all the gas-fired power plants across the globe is expected to require significant MRO services during the forecast period.
- Furthermore, the electricity demand is expected to increase in the future fueled by the electrification of the automobile. Several countries have adopted targets of phasing out the sale of passenger cars running on fossils. Among the first to set targets are Costa Rica and Norway, with 2021 and 2025 defined as targets, respectively.
- Therefore, factors, such as increased access to electricity, rise in number of electric vehicles, and increased concerns over greenhouse gas emissions from coal-based power plants, are expected to help drive the gas turbine market in the power sector, which, in turn, is expected to drive the gas turbine maintenance market in power sector.
United Kingdom to Dominate the Market
- The United Kingdom is expected to dominate the market in the forecast period due to an increase in energy demand, and natural gas usage in the region.
- There has been a major increase in the use of gas for power generation in the region, aiming at reducing greenhouse gas emissions. The country witnessed its first coal-free week from 1st May to 8th May 2019, since the industrial era, this gradual phasing out of coal-based power plants have paved the way for gas-based plants in the forecast period.
- With the rising pollution concerns across the world due to industrialization, the shift towards clean energy generation from gas turbines has gained considerable momentum.
- Therefore, the aforementioned factors are expected to drive the market in the forecast period, similar to the trend witnessed in recent years.
The European gas turbine MRO market in the power sector is consolidated with major players holding a large share of the market. Some of the major companies are General Electric, Siemens AG, Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Ltd, and John Wood Group PLC.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support