The compact camera module market is expected to register a CAGR of over 12% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). In the current scenario, being a part of the mobile manufacturing market supply chain is known to be a key factor for success in the CCM market. For instance, the Korean ecosystem has observed sustained development due to the presence of Samsung and LG.
- The average selling price of the camera modules is continuously declining over the past recent year. Along with that, the need for fast innovations in the camera module is assisting for retaining the dominance with the critical players in the market.
- The application of CCM in the automotive for advanced driving assistance and automotive electronics is driving the market for a compact camera module. The innovation in the CCM design has benefited to the rising application in automobiles.
- The average selling price of the camera mobile is declining due to mass production and high demand. Advent to this, cheaper smartphones are creating more adoption rates proliferating market growth for the compact camera modules.
Scope of the Report
The scope of the study for the compact camera module has considered both fixed and automatic focus modules and their respective applications in a wide range of end-user verticals globally.
Key Market Trends
Mobile Sector to Hold the Largest Market Share
- Mobile segment holds the largest market share of the compact camera module market, owing to the growing consumer specifications and the stiff competitive nature of the market. Cameras have become a critical and important feature for mobile device manufacturers as the purchasing decision of the consumer is also greatly dependent on the type of camera and the pixel size of the camera.
- The CCM market is aided by the adoption of high-resolution cameras in mobiles and has been proliferated by the adoption of multiple front and back cameras as well. The market is driven by the increasing resolution requirement for both rear and front-facing mobile cameras.
- Even though the smartphone market has reached the maturity level, the continuous advancement in the sensors technology and the trend towards the depth effect of mobile cameras has raised the application of multiple compact camera modules for each smartphone unit increasing the demand for CCM in the segment.
- According to the Zenith, smartphone penetration has reached 66% in the year 2018. Also, the rising number of smartphone shipped year on year is expected to follow the trend.
Asia-Pacific Region to Witness the Fastest Growth
- Demand for connected cars in Japan buoyed by the Japanese governments plans to improve the connected cars division before Olympics 2020, is expected to boost the demand for CMM in the near future. These have led Japanese OEMs to showcase the AD technologies, to increase the consumers’ awareness for automated driving systems.
- China and India are the countries with the highest number of smartphones. Also, the development in the laptops and notebooks towards faster and thinner is advancing camera module companies for further improved quality innovations. The rapid increase in smartphone penetration and the growing disposable income is driving population for the quick switch to the latest technologies on consumer electronics.
- Moreover, the introduction of the smart cities is acting as a significant driving force for the video surveillance market in China. Advanced video surveillance techniques have been integrated with the city administration to boost efficiency.
With significant advancements in technology and an evolving supply chain, the market is consolidated. The present CCM market is mainly dominated by Asian players, mainly Japanese and Korean firms. The market is also witnessing an emergence of Chinese and Taiwanese firms as well.
- February 2019 - OPPO announced the commencement of its 10X zoom smartphone camera module. The periscope design features a prism that reflects incoming light by 90 degrees and makes it possible to include such a 'long' lens in a thin smartphone body. The prism is also used for image stabilization.
- March 2019 - OmniVision Technologies, Inc., a developer of advanced digital imaging solutions, released its OVM7251 CameraCubeChip module. It is built on the 3 microns OmniPixel3-GS global shutter architecture. The company claims to offers a small form factor, low power consumption, and 640×480 VGA resolution camera module.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support