The casein and caseinates market is projected to register a CAGR of 5.2% during the forecast period (2020-2025).
- Casein and caseinates are witnessing huge demand from the food and beverage and various other industrial applications, including plastic and fiber, paint, paper, glue, and textile. In the food and beverage industry, caseinates are gaining popularity in the bakery and confectionery segment, due to their immense functional benefits. Caseinate ingredients have their usage in baked goods, such as cheesecakes, puddings, frostings, and whipped toppings.
- Besides, the increasing applications of casein in the cosmetics and personal care industry, especially as hair and skin conditioning agents and emulsifying agents, are providing new opportunities for casein manufacturers to increase their market shares.
- Geographically, North America is likely to dominate the market, whereas Asia-Pacific is the fastest-growing market for casein and caseinates, due to the growth of the food and beverage industry and high demand for nutritional products among consumers in the region.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand for Protein-rich Food to Drive the Market
The increasing demand for protein-rich food and easy availability of casein protein are driving the growth of the casein and caseinates market across the world. This is mainly due to the increase in the number of health and fitness centers and rising health consciousness among consumers. Also, functional advancements, including muscle repair, energy boosting, and weight loss, rising usage of protein-based meal replacements, and surging consumer demand for greater ingredient traceability and authenticity are likely to augment the demand for casein and caseinates over the forecast period.
North America to Lead the Global Market
In North America, the increasing prices of raw materials are influencing the prices of casein and caseinates. In 2017, the United States witnessed significant growth in the exportation of dairy products, in terms of value and volume, to fulfill the demand for casein raw materials in other countries. In the developed economies of North America and Europe, the acceptance of casein protein for sports nutrition is driving the market growth. The availability of affordable high-quality, edible casein and demand for acid casein for industrial applications are supporting the market growth in the developing economies. In Asia-Pacific, India holds the largest share in each caseinate type, including sodium and calcium caseinates, which are derived from buffalo and cows skim milk.
The casein and caseinates market is highly competitive and fragmented in nature, owing to the presence of many regional and domestic players. Players are focusing on mergers, expansions, acquisitions, and partnerships, along with new product development activities, to boost their brand presence among consumers. For instance, in June 2015, Nestlé SA filed an international patent for an infant nutrition product with casein protein, which could be used to prevent metabolic syndrome disorders in infants. Also, in August 2018, the Italian startup, Bioerg’s, launched 'next-generation' dextran, which is 10 times cheaper than standard dextran and has high casein content to increase moisture, by binding with water, and to improve the texture.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support