Allergy plays a significant role in patients with atopic dermatitis. The disease mostly flares up when the patient is around things that cause allergic reactions. It is particularly common in infants, as well as children, and is estimated to account for about 10-20% for those having eczema, as mentioned under the American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology.
Food allergy has been essentially highly debatable for decades in atopic dermatitis, with some common food, including milk, egg, and soy. There is a lot of literature that provides pieces of evidence that common food exacerbate atopic dermatitis. The malfunction in the immune system of the human body due to asthma is also among the major causes of atopic dermatitis.
Additionally, skin irritants occur due to certain soaps, detergents, perfumes, etc. Thus, allergic reactions, particularly due to food, are one of the major factors that are increasing the burden of atopic dermatitis and driving market growth.
Other factors driving the market are the rich pipeline portfolio, with products in advanced stages of clinical development, increasing government funds to support research for this disease, and rising campaigns to raise eczema awareness.
Key Market Trends
Corticosteroids Segment Dominated the Overall Market
- Corticosteroids are referred to as cortisone-like medicines that are used as pain relief medication for inflammation in the body. These drugs are known to have effects, such as reduced itching, swelling, allergic reactions, and redness.
- Additionally, these drugs are used as first-line treatment for different diseases, such as skin problems, severe allergies, arthritis, and asthma. Around 30 corticosteroid compounds have been licensed for atopic dermatitis treatment, of which hydrocortisone is considered to be the first.
- The rising innovations have led to the advent of counterfeit medicines and alternative drugs, such as immuno-modulators pimecrolimus and tacrolimus. However, these alternatives have pitfalls, such as selective effectivity and high cost. Hence, topical corticosteroids play a vital role in atopic dermatitis treatment.
North America Captured the Largest Market Share and is Expected to Retain its Dominance
- North America is expected to provide high business for the atopic dermatitis market, over the forecast period.
- The factors, such as high treatment awareness among the patient population across the United States and Canada, healthcare infrastructure, early adoption of novel medications, better reimbursement policies, and increasing business partnerships of pharmaceutical companies with contract research organizations in the emerging markets, help the lucrative nature of this market in North America.
- Although both countries deal with heavy healthcare expenditure, there is an increasing number of campaigns organized each year by certain foundations, such as the PAN Foundation, National Eczema Associations, and several pharmaceutical companies, along with grants.
The presence of major market players, such as Pfizer Inc., Novartis International AG, Allergan PLC, and Abbvie Inc., is increasing the overall competitive rivalry of the market studied. Large organizations rely heavily on advertising expenses and branding strategies. They are also collaborating with successful personalities, initiatives, or programs at the national levels, which promote their product, thereby, are recognized earlier than other brands in the market studied.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support