The Asia-Pacific industrial battery market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 9.21% during the forecast period of 2020 – 2025. Declining lithium-ion battery prices, increasing demand from data centers and telecom sectors along with rising renewable energy integration are some of the major factors driving the market. However, factors, such as uncertainty in raw material prices and availability of raw materials, such as cobalt, lead, and lithium, are likely to curtail the market growth rate during the forecast period.
- Among the different types of industrial battery technologies, lithium-ion battery (LIB) is expected to be fastest growing segment in the industrial battery market over the forecast period, owing to its major factors like better performance, high energy density, etc. when compared to other batteries.
- The rising focus on technologically advanced batteries and use of artificial intelligence in the R&D phase of battery manufacturing is likely to create a massive opportunity for the battery companies to invest and redirect their resources to make a breakthrough battery technology.
- China is likely to witness significant demand in the Asia-Pacific industrial battery market, supported by the grid-side energy storage sector along with the demand for data center and telecom industry.
Key Market Trends
Lithium-ion Battery (LIB) Technology to Witness Significant Demand
- Lithium-ion battery (LIB) is expected to witness significant growth in the industrial battery market over the forecast period, majorly due to its favorable capacity-to-weight ratio. Other factors boosting the LIB adoption include its properties, like better performance, higher energy density, and decreasing price.
- The price of LIB is usually higher compared to other batteries. However, leading players in the market have been investing in R&D activities to improve LIB's performance and price, to gain economies of scale. The emergence of new and exciting markets, such as energy storage systems (ESS), for both commercial and residential applications, is driving the demand for LIB.
- Lithium-ion batteries are witnessing massive demand in the battery energy storage market, owing to their declining prices. Also, lithium-ion batteries are expected to hold the most significant share in the battery energy storage market soon, as they require little maintenance, are lightweight, and have a reliable cycle life, high energy density regarding volume, and high charge/discharge efficiency.
- Lithium-ion forklift batteries provide an extra edge to the material handling applications by reducing labor costs and improving productivity. Lithium-ion forklift batteries can be fast-charged in cold temperatures (even inside freezers), and they can maintain their capacity in cold temperatures better than their lead-acid counterparts. The increasing demand for fast delivery of products also has pushed for improvements in logistics and distribution, in emerging regions like North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. This, in turn, is likely to boost the demand for industrial li-ion batteries in the material handling industry in the coming years.
- In May 2020, Chinese lithium-ion battery producer Jiangsu Pylontech has launched a 5 GWh/yr production plant for lithium-ion battery systems at Yizheng city in southeast China's Jiangsu province. Construction of the plant, with a total investment cost of 1.5 billion yuan (USD 210 million), is scheduled to be completed in three phases by the end of 2022.
- The major manufacturers of lithium-ion batteries include BYD Company Limited, Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited, LG Chem Ltd, and Tianjin Lishen Battery Joint-Stock Co. Ltd, have plans to set up new manufacturing facilities in the Asia-Pacific region, primarily in India, China, and South Korea.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, Lithium-ion battery technology is expected to witness significant demand for industrial battery market during the forecast period.
China to Witness Significant Demand
- In 2018, China’s total energy storage project capacity reached 1018.5 MW, 216% increases compared to the capacity in 2017. The newly added grid-side energy storage capacity in China reached 206.8 MW, accounting for around 36% of the new installed capacity in 2018 in the country. The grid-side energy storage sector was the biggest consumer of energy storage installation in 2018, by capacity.
- Factors, such as significant growth in renewable power generation capacity, energy storage targets released by electric utilities in 2018, coupled with the declining battery costs, have driven the large-scale energy storage capacity additions in the country.
- Hence, the growth witnessed in the energy storage deployment in 2018 is expected to continue in the coming years, which, in turn, is expected to be one of the biggest drivers for the industrial battery market in the country, during the forecast period.
- China is among the forerunners in the use of artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning technologies. But, with the growth of the AI sector, demand for the data collection and processing is rising at a rapid rate. The data centers capacity in the country has not increased at the same pace. As a result, according to the Ministry of Industry and Information Technology (MIIT), China, the domestic local data processing supply was about 19% less than demand in 2017. Hence, to meet the demand, the data center industry is expected to witness a surge in investments, which is expected to drive the demand for UPS in the country, in turn, driving the market.
- According to MIIT, in 2018, China’s telecom industry increased the length of the deployed optical fiber by over 15%, by adding 5.78 million km of cable. The sector also deployed 439,000 4G base station, increasing the total number to 3.72 million, as of 2018. With the growth of the infrastructure, the demand for batteries from the telecom sector has been increasing significantly in the country, which, in turn, is expected to drive the market during the forecast period.
- Therefore, based on the above-mentioned factors, China is expected to have a positive impact on the industrial battery market during the forecast period.
The Asia-Pacific industrial battery market is moderately fragmented. Some of the major players includes Exide Industries Ltd, GS Yuasa Corporation, East Penn Manufacturing Company Inc., Panasonic Corporation, and EnerSys.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support