The anti-obesity drugs market is growing steadily, with gradual growth in the number of approvals from the US FDA and Europe. However, there are very few drugs in the late stage of development.
Moreover, increasing obesity rates, globally, are leading to increasing the demand for anti-obesity drugs. Health risks from obesity cause death of 2.8 million people, globally, every year, as per the World Health Organization 2017 data. The increasing obese population is primarily due to the increase in unhealthy eating habits and a sedentary lifestyle. These factors have increased the demand for anti-obesity drugs.
However, the availability of more effective alternative therapies and treatments and potential side-effects of anti-obesity drugs are expected to restraint market growth.
Key Market Trends
OTC Drugs Segment is Expected to Exhibit a Fastest Growth Rate over the Forecast Period
- Currently, obesity is a major concern, globally. The rising intake of junk foods/fast foods is resulting in declining health among the population, worldwide. As mentioned earlier, obesity is one of the most prevalent problems faced by people of this century, especially in some developed parts of the world. For instance, in the United States, from 1999–2000 to 2017–2018, the prevalence of obesity increased from 30.5% to 42.4%, and the prevalence of severe obesity increased from 4.7% to 9.2%, as per the 2018 report by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- In most countries, Orlistat is marketed as a prescription drug under the trade name Xenical, by Roche, while it is sold as an OTC drug under the trade name Alli, by GlaxoSmithKline, in the United Kingdom and the United States. The cost-effectiveness and ease of availability of OTC products are expected to propel the growth of the market studied.
North America is Expected to Dominate the Market over the Forecast Period
- North America dominated the global anti-obesity drugs market, with the United States accounted as the major contributor to the market. The primary factors driving the growth of the market studied are an increase in the obese population and high healthcare spending.
- The United States (38.2%) has the highest percentage of the obese population in the world, followed closely by Mexico (32.4%), as per 2017 statistics by OECD. As per the report, Canada had 25.8% of people who were obese. The high obesity rate is another factor for the high demand for anti-obesity drugs in the region. Therefore, these factors have positively affected the market growth in the region.
The presence of major market players, such as GlaxoSmithKline PLC, Novo Nordisk AS, Pfizer Inc., F Hoffmann-La Roche AG, and Bayer AG, is increasing the overall competitive rivalry of the market. Large organizations rely heavily on advertising expenses and branding strategies, collaborating with successful personality, initiative, or programs at the national levels, which promote their product. Therefore, these are recognized earlier than other brands in the market studied. With the high prevalence rate of the disease, the intensity of competitive rivalry is moderate to high.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support