The market for thermally conductive grease is expected to register a CAGR of about 3% globally during the forecast period. The major factor driving the market studied is the increasing demand from the electrical and electronics Industry. On the flip side, the inconsistent performance of thermally conductive grease is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied.
- The silicone based grease segment is expected to dominate the global thermally conductive grease market over the forecast period.
- The Asia-Pacific region represents the largest market, and it is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period, owing to the increasing consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Application of Silicon Based Thermally Conductive Grease
- Thermal grease is thermally conductive but is an electrically insulating compound, which is commonly used as an interface between heat sinks and heat sources, such as high-power semiconductor devices.
- Silicon-based greases are capable of withstanding higher temperatures, which makes it ideal for the application, and thus, this increases the performance of the device. This application of silicon-based thermal grease is increasing its demand in semiconductor applications.
- Silicon-based grease is widely used in making semiconductor devices, as silicone greases are cost-effective, and they fill the smaller air gaps effectively.
- The heat produced can be effectively removed by thermal conduction from the electronic component to a heat sink either by surface contact or using thermally conductive greases made of silicon.
- In the electrical and electronics industry, components, such as semiconductors, transistors, integrated circuits (ICs), and discrete devices, are designed to operate at a normal operating temperature range.
- However, the operation of an electronic component generates heat. If sufficient heat is not removed, the electronic component will operate at a temperature significantly above its normal operating temperature. Excessive temperatures can adversely affect the performance of the electronic component and operation of the device associated with increasing failures.
- The Semiconductor Industry Association (SIA) announced that worldwide sales of semiconductors reached USD 36.6 billion for the month of October 2019, an increase of 2.9% from the previous month’s total of USD 35.6 billion.
- Hence, owing to the growing applications in silicon based thermally conductive grease in the electrical and electronics industry, especially in Asia-Pacific and North American countries, the demand for silicone based thermally conductive greases is expected to increase over the forecast period.
The Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to dominate the market for thermally conductive grease during the forecast period. Due to the high demand from countries, such as China, India, and Japan, the market for thermally conductive grease has been increasing.
- The largest producers of thermally conductive grease are located in the Asia-Pacific region. Some of the leading companies in the production of thermally conductive grease are 3M, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, Kenner Material & System Co. Ltd, Chemtronics, and Momentive.
- Increasing usage of electronic devices and the presence of well-established electronic device manufacturers in the region are increasing the demand for thermally conductive grease.
- The “Made in China 2025” policy, published in May 2015, mentions specific targets to increase self-sufficiency in integrated circuits production to 40% in 2020 and 70% by 2025, thus, increasing the scope for this market in the coming years.
- The aforementioned factors, coupled with the government support, are contributing to the increasing demand for thermally conductive grease market during the forecast period.
The global thermally conductive grease market is fragmented with players accounting for a marginal share of the market. Few companies include 3M, Henkel AG & Co. KGaA, Momentive, Boyd Corporation, and Novagard Solutions.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support