The global switchgear market is expected to register a CAGR of 7% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025). Due to the increasing complexities in the planning, the electric power distribution for industrial plants, infrastructure, and buildings switchgear protection has become pivotal in any modern power system network.
- The primary factor fuelling the switchgear market growth is the rising construction activities worldwide owing to the increasing focus on infrastructure along with a growing demand for renewable energy sources. The construction industry is witnessing growth in the emerging economies including India and China apart from the advanced economies like the US, Canada, and countries in the European Union (EU) which are already focusing on their existing infrastructure.
- Increasing expenditure towards infrastructural development along with regulatory measures for the expansion of the power grid in rural areas is enhancing the market size. Government directives to replace older redundant systems to achieve operational safety and security in industrial establishments is also triggering market growth.
- Also, as an integral part of digital environments, it ensures safe, reliable, and efficient power supply to plants, machinery, and buildings, supplying essential data for the industrial Internet of Things at the same time. Today, all process steps in electric power distribution can be entirely digitally supported – starting with electrotechnical planning. In operation, the continuous recording of power flows provides the transparency and data basis that is essential for digital enterprises – as a foundation for higher energy efficiency and failure safety, as well as for lower costs and CO2 emissions.
- However, stringent environmental and safety regulations related to the switchgear market is a restraining factor. Also, increasing competition from the unorganized sector of the switchgear market can restrain the switchgear market. Also, ageing power infrastructure, HVDC transmission networks, and upcoming smart cities can lead to opportunities in the switchgear market.
Scope of the Report
A switchgear is a term associated with power system protection and is used for regulating, switching on or off the electrical circuit, and controlling in the electrical power system is known as switchgear. The different components of switchgear are circuit breakers, isolator, relays, switches, fuses, and control panels. It is used for de-energizing the equipment for testing and maintenance and for clearing the fault.
Key Market Trends
The Gas Insulated Switchgear Is Expected To Hold The Largest Share Of The Switchgear Market.
- The Gas Insulated Switchgear (GIS) is expected to hold the maximum share in the global switchgear market. A gas insulated switchgear (GIS) is a metal encapsulated switchgear which consists of high-voltage components such as circuit-breakers and disconnectors. A GIS is majorly used in confined spaces, for example, in city buildings, office spaces, on offshore platforms, extensions, on roofs, etc.
- As compared to Air Insulated Switchgear (AIS), they are more environment-friendly, more reliable and more flexible. Also, the installation time and maintenance cost required for GIS is less than that of AIS. The major applications of GIS are power transmission, integration of renewable power generation units to the grid, and railways.
- The major factors driving the growth is the rising energy demand and extension/replacement of old switchgear at sub-stations that can drive the gas insulated switchgear equipment in the switchgear market. Also, due to its space optimization, low maintenance, and protection against external elements the demand for gas insulated switchgear is expected to rise.
- Major companies providing GIS are continuously developing and innovating by making investments. For instance, recently in February this year, ABB has powered Africa’s largest gas insulated switchgear installation. This Gas-insulated electrical substation is expected to strengthen power reliability in Johannesburg.
Asia-Pacific Dominates the Market
- The market in the Asia-Pacific leads the global switchgear market during the forecast period. The major factors responsible for the dominance in this region is due to the up gradation of aging electrical grid infrastructure and increasing electricity demand in the region.
- Also, the increasing infrastructure development for renewable energy sources, growing market for grid modernization, replacement of old installations along with capacity enhancement are some more factors stimulating the growth.
- Developing countries like India and China in the region are extensively upgrading and installing new transmission lines and distribution networks to uphold the infrastructural developments, which is expected to be a major driving factor of the global switchgear market.
The global switchgear market appears to be fragmented owing to the presence of several established and regional switchgear manufacturers and is quite competitive. The vendors are constantly innovating new solutions to maintain their market share.
- April 2019 - ABB introduces the air-insulated switchgear UniSec at the Hanover fair. It is a complete SF6-free switchgear solution for networks up to 24(kV). It uses the HySec AirPlus, a multifunction apparatus, combine the functions of a circuit breaker, line disconnector, and earthing switch all-in-one, which is now available with AirPlus insulation gas.
- January 2019 – Mitsubishi Electric Corporation has developed two technologies for gas-insulated switchgear: an arc-cooling technology that achieves a 25% improvement in the interruption of electrical current in sulfur-fluoride (SF6) gas-insulated switchgear used in high-voltage power systems, and a high-density dielectric coating technology that improves insulation performance by 30% in high-voltage conductors.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- Report customization as per the client's requirements
- 3 months of analyst support