Factors that are responsible for the growth of the newborn screening market include growing newborn screening programs, rising incidences of congenital diseases, raising funding from government sectors for newborn screening, and advancements in technologies used in newborn screening.
- Newborn screening represents one of the major child health advances of the past century, and there have been many advancements in the technologies used in newborn screening. The rapid pace of developments in the field of newborn screening has been made possible, by technological advances in the ability to detect multiple compounds diagnostic of different inborn errors of metabolism in neonatal dried blood specimens. After the success of newborn screening in phenylketonuria, experts in this area are optimistic that further health benefits may arise in the future.
- Also, one of the most exciting and powerful advancements in this field is the commercialization of hybrid instruments. The manufacturers are focusing on the high sensitivity, resolution, throughput, and cost-effectiveness to gain a foothold in the market. Hence, many companies have been influenced by emerging technologies and have adopted many new clinical testing platforms for use.
- However, factors, such as the lack of uniformity of newborn screening policies and procedures, across the world, may hinder the market growth.
Key Market Trends
The Dried Blood Spot Segment is Expected to Hold the Major Revenue Share
Dried blood spot tests (DBS) are expected to continue their domination during the forecast period. DBS sampling has been used to screen newborn babies for congenital metabolic diseases for over 50 years. The advantages of DBS sampling include minimal volume requirements (approximately 30 – 100 µL per spot), ease of sample attainment by finger or heel stick with minimal training required, and ease of transport and sample stability. Autism, lymphomas and leukemia, and many other metabolic conditions can be diagnosed through this test. Dried blood spot analysis offers the advantage of collecting a small sample volume, which can be easily transported. Thus, rising diseases in newborns are boosting the market growth.
North America Dominates the Market and is Expected to do Same during the Forecast Period
Currently, North America dominates the market for newborn screening and is expected to continue its stronghold for a few more years. This is primarily due to the growing prevalence of congenital disorders and enforced testing in all the 50 states of the nation. In the North American region, the United States holds the largest market share. This can be majorly attributed to the increasing incidence rates of disorders in newborns and the rising demand for advanced systems. The presence of developed healthcare infrastructure is expected to further propel the market in the United States.
The newborn screening market is moderately competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of the market share, few of the major players currently dominate the market. A large portion of the market share is held by companies, like Agilent Technologies Inc., Natus Medical Inc., Trivitron Healthcare, Medtronic Inc., Masimo Corp., and Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc., among others.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support