The Mexico calcium carbonate market is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 2% during the forecast period. Major factor driving the market studied is increasing demand for paints and coatings from the construction industry. On the flip side, health hazards associated with calcium carbonate and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the growth of the market.
- Increasing demand from the pharmaceutical industry is forecasted to offer various opportunities for the growth of the market over the forecast period.
- Calcium carbonate from paints and coatings is likely to dominate the market owing to rise in construction industry in mexico over the forecast period.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Paints and Coatings Industry
- In paints and coatings, calcium carbonate (CaCO3) functions as the main extender. The fineness and particle-size distribution impacts the opacity of coatings. Moreover, CaCO3 offers interesting features, like high brightness, low oil absorption, dispersibility, weather resistance, low abrasiveness, low electrolyte content, pH stabilizing effect, and improved anti-corrosion and rheological properties.
- Ultrafine CaCO3 used in paints and coatings has a spatial steric effect. The addition of ultra fine CaCO3 to paint can cause the relatively dense lithopone to stay in suspension and not sink to the bottom and it can increase the whiteness and luster of the paint film without reducing covering ability
- It can prevent settling in latex paints and can reduce the amount of dispersant needed. It is used even more extensively in the aqueous paint industry. Typically, 20%-60% of ultra-fine CaCO3 is used in aqueous paints.
- In November 2019, the government of Mexico unveiled the first phase of its ambitious USD 42 billion National Infrastructure Plan for 2020-2024 aimed at raising infrastructure investment to more than 5% a year and delivering annual economic growth of more than 4% over the coming years.
- This growth in the construction industry is expected to contribute to the demand for paints and coatings. This factor, in turn, is expected to boost the demand for calcium carbonate in Mexico.
Precipitated Calcium Carbonate to dominate the market
- Precipitated calcium carbonate (PCC) is also known as purified, refined, or synthetic calcium carbonate. Almost all the grades of PCC are manufactured through direct carbonation of hydrated lime, known as the milk of lime process.
- The different shapes allow PCC to perform as a functional additive in adhesives and sealants, plastics, rubber, inks, paper, pharmaceuticals, nutritional supplements, and many other demanding applications.
- Besides paper making, PCC finds extensive usage as a functional and commercial filler in industries, like plastics, rubber, paints and inks, adhesives and sealants, food and pharmaceuticals, and cosmetics.
- According to studies conducted by the Centre for Development and Enterprise, the PCC business has an estimated 80% return on investment (ROI).
- PCC is commonly used in paint and inks as extenders to increase opacity and porosity for dry hiding and PCC's unique particle shapes improve hiding and allow reductions in the titanium dioxide levels.
- Decrease in paints and coatings demand due delays in commercial projects, recent earthquake in Mexico and spread of COVID-19 is likely to hamper the calcium carbonate demand from construction industry. However in the long run market is forecasted to recover at a steady state.
The Mexico Calcium Carbonate is market is partially consolidated in nature with only few major players dominating the market. Some of the major companies are Imerys, Minerals Technologies Inc., Omya AG, J.M. Huber Corporation and Sibelco.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support