The market for hydrazine is expected to register a CAGR of about 4% during the forecast period. The major factor driving the market studied is the increasing demand from agrochemicals. On the flip side, the highly toxic nature of hydrazine and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the growth of the market.
- The use of hydrazine as an alternative to hydrogen in fuel cells is expected to offer various opportunities for the growth of the market.
- The agrochemicals and pharmaceutical sectors are likely to be the dominant segments, in terms of demand, over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific dominates the market across the world, with the largest consumption from countries, such as China and India.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Agrochemicals Segment
- Hydrazine is a precursor to many agrochemicals, involving fertilizers, pesticides, hormones, and plant growth regulators (PGR) that enable plant and soil protection, improve the yield, and maintain and improve the growth process of plants. The agrochemicals market is anticipated to register a CAGR of approximately 4% during the forecast period.
- As of 2019, there was approximately 2.7 billion ha of land with potential for crop production in the world, concentrated in Asia-Pacific, South and Central America, and Sub-Saharan Africa.
- In order to meet the growing food demand for the ever-increasing global population, demand for agrochemicals is increasing, with the population in the world currently (2020) growing at a rate of around 1.05% per year (1.08% in 2019, 1.10% in 2018, and 1.12% in 2017).
- Asia-Pacific represents the largest market, and it is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period, owing to the increasing consumption from China, India, and the Southeast Asian countries.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is expected to be the largest market in hydrazine consumption, as the region dominates the market for the end-use industries, such as pharmaceuticals and agrochemicals.
- Asia-Pacific occupies approximately 30% of the USD 57 billion in the overall agrochemicals market. Hydrazine is used as a raw material for manufacturing agrochemicals.
- India and China have the largest agricultural areas worldwide, with 11% and 10% shares, respectively, of the total arable land of the world, thus, indicating a continuous demand for agrochemicals.
- Hydrazine is used in the pharmaceutical industry. Isoniazid, an antibiotic for the treatment of Tuberculosis, is prepared using hydrazine. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), the greatest number of Tuberculosis patients was found in six Asian countries, namely, India (27%), China (9%), Indonesia (8%), the Philippines (6%), Pakistan (6%), and Bangladesh (4%).
- Thus, the rising demand from the aforementioned end-user industries is expected to drive growth in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Some of the major companies operating in Asia-Pacific are Arkema, NIPPON CARBIDE INDUSTRIES CO. INC., and Otsuka Chemical Co. Inc.
The hydrazine market is fragmented with the presence of both international and domestic players. The major companies include Arkema Group, Lonza, LANXESS, NIPPON CARBIDE INDUSTRIES CO. INC., and Otsuka-MGC Chemical Company Inc.
Reasons to Purchase this report:
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support